CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2003

From:
Joel Sheffield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:56:37 -0500

Is the autofluorescence distributed across the retina, or is it limited
to specific cell types?  Also, which wavelengths?  Retina is full of
carotenoids --especially in the photoreceptors, and they are quite
fluorescent.  We were able to overcome it by using Rhodamine
based fluorophores, since most of the background was in the green.
We also see much less autofluorescence if we use paraffin
embedments.  I assume that all of the solvents extract most of the
carotenoids.