CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2003

Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:42:49 +1000

Wencat wrote:

>Does anyone have any info. on how to align mirrors M2 and M3 on a BIORAD
>MRC 600. I mistakenly misaligned these mirrors. Want to realign them.
>What would be the best way to do this. Thanks.

First of all, if your are not experienced in aligning optical systems,
forget it.  Call your Biorad serviceman in and he will do it all for
you in an hour and that will be the cheapest solution!

But if you are familiar with these matters, it really isn't hard.
You need the 'lipstick' (perspex rod with an angled end) that Biorad
supply with these systems (on some later ones they didn't supply it
in which case you'll need to borrow one).

With your normal fluorescence block in position 1 (and nothing in
position 2) check that M1 is correct and the light spot is centred
on the alignment prism.  Put a brightly fluorescent sample under the
objective.  Now take the cover off inspection hole S2, insert the
lipstick (angled so that the light reflects out) and you should see your
returning fluorescence (and probably some laser light that has leaked
through the dichroic).  Since you haven't misaligned anything down
here this should be all OK.

Now move the lipstick to inspection hole S3 and adjust mirror M2
so that the fluorescent spot is central.  Then go to S4 and do the same
with mirror M3.  Finally align M4 in the normal way (brightest image with
pinhole closed), put in the K2 block and do the same with M5 if
necessary.

Now put tape over the alignment holes for M2 and M3 so that it won't
happen again!

                                        Guy Cox

Assoc. Prof. Guy Cox,                 ooOOOOOOoo
E.M. Unit, F09            #       oOOOO  |  |  OOOOo       #
University of Sydney     ###    OOO|  |  |  |  |  |OOO    ###
NSW 2006, Australia      ###  OOO  |  |  |  |  |  |  OOO  ###
Ph:  02 9351 3176        ### OO |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | OO ###
Fax: 02 9351 7682       #####   |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |   #####
http://www.guycox.net   #####                            #####