CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2003

From:
"Mario M. Moronne" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 12:26:08 -0800

Antoine, I assume you mean that phalloidin-Alexa
633 didn't work because it gave no staining, not
simply because it was dim.

Antoine has reminded me of something I have been
wanting to ask for a long time and I am guessing
that someone at Molecular Probes probably knows,
which is, what are the quantum yields of the
different Alexa probes. I personally have only
used the Alexa 488 and 546 probes that have
already been conjugated to a protein when
purchased. The Alexa 488 appeared much brighter
and camera readouts appeared to indicate that it
was in fact brighter. However, this was entirely
evaluated without calibration of anything.

If anyone has any quantum efficiency data for the
family of Alexa dyes free in solution and/or
bound, I would really appreciate the information.
I could always measure it myself but its not
convenient at the moment, as my lab is
spectrofluorometer free. A reference would be
nice, also.

Regards,
Mario

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>Hi everyone,
>Just a tip.
>If you have to choose between Phalloidin Alexa
>488 and Phalloidin Alexa 633, in
>our hand, for similar experimentals conditions,
>phalloidin Alexa 488 works wlle
>and phalloidin Alexa 633 doesn't.
>Bye
>
>--
>Antoine Blanc, Research Associate
>Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal
>Chemical Engineering, Mike Buschmann Laboratory
>CP 6079, succ. Centre-ville
>Montréal Qc, Canada H3C 3A7
>Tel.:514-340-4711 ext.:3212,3336,3337
>FAX:514-340-4159