CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2003

From:
Stamatis Pagakis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 18:51:21 +0000

Hello

I am posting this for a colleague that does not have access to the
group.  If you want to send a personal response, please e-mail directly
to her [log in to unmask]

We are experiencing a problem with long term stability of brain slices:
we are performing experiments that require long term (2-3 hours) patch
clamp recordings and we find that the size of evoked EPSPs is not always
stable.  The EPSP amplitude often goes up as well as down, indicating
that it is not a simple run down of the cell, e.g. due to washout.
Perforated patch recordings show similar instability.  We have ruled out
drift of either the stimulating or recoding electrodes, which leaves out
mechanical instability of the slice itself as the most likely culprit.
We would be grateful for any suggestions as to how to deal with this
problem.  Many thanks!

Dr. Irini Skaliora
ULP
University of Oxford

Dr. Stamatis Pagakis
Confocal microscopy and Image Analysis Lab
National Institute for Medical Research
Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA
Tel: +44 (0)20 8816 2621
Fax:  020 8906 4477