CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2004

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 13:30:46 -0500
8bit
From:
Russell McConnell <[log in to unmask]>

Hi All,
The Leica software does have an ROI scanning functionality, the only
problem is that the button(s) that control it are usually not present on
the default GUI (graphic user interface).  Go to Tools-->Customize.
This opens a window with a list of different commands.  Select 'Basic
Scan' from the list and a number of buttons should appear in the right
part of the window.  The two that you want are the 'ROI' and 'Config'
buttons, just drag them onto the main GUI where you want them to be.
The 'ROI' button lets you define the areas you want to scan, while the
'Config' button lets you specify which laser lines you want to use in
each area (i.e. in ROI-1 you want to use 488 and 568, while in ROI-2 you
want only 488 etc.).
This feature is very useful for not only FRAP and FRET analyses, but
also for checking to see if using a particular laser power is bleaching
a sample; the AOTF blanks the laser light outside of the ROI so those
parts of the sample are not exposed to the excitation light.  Any
confocal with an AOTF should be able to do this type of scanning.
Cheers,
Russell

--
Russell McConnell