CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2004

From:
Lloyd Donaldson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:40:08 +1300

Sorry - I misinterpreted your question. There is in fact a folder called
recycler. I think the problem you have is that another user has deleted
files on your system and not cleared their recycle bin.
NT won't let a user clear another users recycle bin. The recycler contains
all the recycle bins for every user who ever used your machine. If you log
in as admin you should be able to remove the waste but if not then you will
need to ask all your users to log in and empty their recycle bins.

|---------+-------------------------------------->
|         |           Lloyd Donaldson            |
|         |           <Lloyd.Donaldson@FORESTRESE|
|         |           ARCH.CO.NZ>                |
|         |           Sent by: Confocal          |
|         |           Microscopy List            |
|         |           EDU>                       |
|         |                                      |
|         |                                      |
|         |           12/03/2004 08:23           |
|         |           Please respond to Confocal |
|         |           Microscopy List            |
|         |                                      |
|---------+-------------------------------------->
  |       To:       [log in to unmask]                                                                                |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: Recycler folder - again                                                                                  |

John

I had a look at my NT system and could not find the file you describe. My
recycle folder is empty, has no hidden files and has 0Mb .
I guess its possible you have a different version of NT that works
differently but have you scanned your system for spyware. Its possible that
spyware could be hiding in a file with an official sounding name.
Another suggestion would be to go to the microsoft site and search for info
on the filename.
If you can delete it then go for it. There are some system files that store
information in the way you describe - they are usually .dat files and can't
be deleted in any way that I have ever tried short of reformatting the hard
drive even with admin priveledge. Dat files are usually only 1-200k in size
though.

Regards - Lloyd

Dr Lloyd Donaldson - Microscopist
Cellwall Biotechnology Centre
Forest Research,
Private Bag 3020, Rotorua, New Zealand
Ph 64 7 343 5581
email [log in to unmask]
www.forestresearch.co.nz/mnz

|---------+------------------------------->
|         |           John Runions        |
|         |           .UK>                |
|         |           Sent by: Confocal   |
|         |           Microscopy List     |
|         |           UFFALO.EDU>         |
|         |                               |
|         |                               |
|         |           11/03/2004 06:59    |
|         |           Please respond to   |
|         |           Confocal Microscopy |
|         |           List                |
|         |                               |
|---------+------------------------------->

  |       To:       [log in to unmask]
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  Recycler folder - again

Hi again all,  thanks for all of the responses with regards the Windows
'Recycler' folder.  Several people assure me that it is ok to delete these
files if you can figure out how.  Please note that this is not an issue of
simply emptying the recycle bin (believe me, I am a ruthless deleter of old
data).  Each time you delete files and empty the bin, Windows stores
information about those files in the Recycler folder which is hidden.  If
you view hidden folders and look at the size of the Recycler folder you
might be unpleasantly surprised.  Cheerio, John.
--

C. John Runions, Ph.D.

email: [log in to unmask]
phone: +44 (0) 1865 483 964