CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2004

From:
Arthur Schuessler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:52:38 +0100

I have another principle question regarding the pulse-streching, it is
mainly for general interest, but we run a directly coupled 2P laser also.
There is also glass in the microscope (at least the lens). Are there
estimates in how far this influences the peaks/pulses?  What one has to
roughly expect in the sample, e.g. when the pulse had 50 or 100 fs before
entering the optical system ?
Arthur

At 03:59 17.03.2004, you wrote:
>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>John Runions wrote:
>
> > Ok, I've got to ask.  What is prechirp?  I've never heard the term before
> >today and I want to be able to use it in conversation at parties.  Over
> >and out, John.
>
>A fibre - like any glass - has dispersion which means that red
>light travels faster than blue.  A femtosecond pulse has a spread
>of wavelengths (of a few nm) and since these travel at different
>speeds the pulse becomes longer by the end of the fibre.  Prechirping
>means retarding the longer wavelengths so that the shorter ones
>are in front.  Then they all come together again at the end of the
>fibre.  Obviously the amount of prechirp has to be carefully matched
>to both the length of the fibre and the pulse length.  A fiddly
>business and best avoided if possible!
>
>                                                 Guy
>
>Assoc. Prof. Guy Cox,                 ooOOOOOOoo
>E.M. Unit, F09            #       oOOOO  |  |  OOOOo       #
>University of Sydney     ###    OOO|  |  |  |  |  |OOO    ###
>NSW 2006, Australia      ###  OOO  |  |  |  |  |  |  OOO  ###
>Ph:  02 9351 3176        ### OO |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | OO ###
>Fax: 02 9351 7682       #####   |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |   #####
>                       ==#####============================#####==
>http://www.guycox.net   #####                            #####

Dr. Arthur Schuessler
Institute of Botany, FB10, TU Darmstadt