CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2004

From:
James Pawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:33:35 -0500

Hi all,

I think that, on the subject of stray light from white walls, it is
important to make a distinction between confocal and 2-photon systems.

Assuming that both are mounted on inverted scopes (with the objective
pointing up where the light is coming from), confocal is only
sensitive to light from the one "point" in the field of view that is
defined by the pinhole.  This makes the confocal relatively
insensitive to stray room light. (In fact, you can turn on the normal
halogen transmitted illuminator and record a rather dim transmission
image with the confocal PMT.)

However, if a 2-photon system is used in the "non-descanned detector"
mode, the PMT "sees" essentially the  whole field of view all the
time.  Consequently, stray light is far more of a problem with this
setup (i.e., 10 million times worse).

Significant reductions in the amount of such light reaching the PMT
can be effected by placing a black box over the top of the specimen
slide and by shielding the area below the stage with black velvet.

And I agree, working in a black room is indeed oppressive!

Cheers,

Jim P.

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>About two years ago we moved our EM lab including the confocal scope to a new
>building. The confocal sits in a room with off white walls and we have remote
>control indirect incandescent lights with dimmers. The set up has been working
>very well so far. The SEM room can have any color wall. Our SEM and TEM room
>wall colors are same as the confocal room. In TEM room, we have a remote
>dimmer on the console for overhead lights. However, I wouldn't go for dark
>colors; I don't think it is necessary. We are very satisfied with our overall
>lab set up.
>
>Soumitra
>
>Quoting Gary Radice <[log in to unmask]>:
>
>>  Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>>  http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
>>
>>  We are constructing a new imaging suite and the architects are asking
>>  what color paint we want on the walls, particularly in the confocal
>>  room and the rooms for the SEM and TEM. They are encouraging us to us
>>  either white or a color from the official "pallete" for the rest of the
>>  building (colors such as rust or a dark sage green).
>>
>>  I'm thinking the darker the better. I've seen confocal rooms that are
>>  painted black. Is black a good idea?
>>
>>  Any opinions?
>>
>>  Gary P. Radice                  [log in to unmask]
>>  Department of Biology   804-289-8107 (voice)
>>  University of Richmond  804-289-8233 (FAX)
>>  Richmond VA 23173       http://www.richmond.edu/~gradice
>>

>Soumitra Ghoshroy Ph.D
>College Associate Professor, Biology
>Director, Electron Microscopy Lab
>New Mexico State University
>Las Cruces, NM 88003
>Tel: 505-646-3268 (office)
>      505-646-3283 (lab)
>Fax: 505-646-3282

Prof. James B. Pawley,                                      Ph.  608-263-3147
Room 223, Zoology Research Building,
FAX  608-265-5315
1117 Johnson Ave., Madison, WI, 53706
3D Microscopy of Living Cells Course, June 12-24, 2004, UBC, Vancouver Canada
Info: http://www.3dcourse.ubc.ca/            Applications due by March 15, 2004