CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2004

From:
"Locknar, Sarah A" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:21:23 -0400

Hi-
It sounds like you're trying to regulate the CO2/ humidity in the entire
incubator?  If that's what you're trying do do, it probably won't work.
We do the following:
1.  Let temp in chamber stabilize a MINIMUM of 3 hours (overnight is
better)
2.  puncture the side of the plastic dish with a heated needle (we go
through the top AND bottom at once)
3.  insert a new needle.  This needle is connected directly to the
output of CO2 bubbling through water (thus the CO2 is hydrated)  We use
the Solent chamber and CO2 enrichment controller but I'm not convinced
it's completely necessary, provided you have a low-flow regulator on the
gas tank.  We use a tank that's 5% CO2, 20% O2, 75% N2.  The dish
shouldn't need an outlet needle since they are not airtight-the gas
tends to leak out.

This setup has worked with experiments up to 18 h long for us.
Feel free to give me a call if this isn't clear.
Good luck-
Sarah
Sarah Locknar, Ph.D.
Director, Neuroscience COBRE Imaging / Physiology Core
College of Medicine, University of Vermont
E015 Given Building
89 Beaumont Ave.
Burlington, VT 05405
802-656-0413