CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2004

From:
"Morrison, Ian E" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 22:26:19 +0100

We have used quantum dots in widefield microscopy with a slow-scan CCD camera (single particle imaging: Hg lamp exc'n=488nm, em=660nm) and found them ~10x brighter than allophycocyanin.  This is not a fair comparison, as the lamp output is much greater at 488 than at 645nm, but we do not have a suitable power meter to normalise this.
An even longer excitation wavelength 530nm showed that they were still brighter than R-phycoerythrin under the same conditions. The single dot intensity is very variable though, in part I presume due to "blinking".  Ian

---------------Dr. I.E.G.Morrison       [log in to unmask]
               Dept.Biological Sciences, University of Essex
               Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ
---------------Tel: 01206-872246           Fax: 01206-872592---------------