CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2004

From:
Kevin Braeckmans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:11:40 +0100

Dear Joost,

If I understand your problem correctly, it seems very much related to the
discussion on FRAP of two-three weeks ago. En empirical FRAP method which is
based on estimating the diffusion coefficient from a t_1/2 value might run
into some difficulties.

It was discussed that, for the t_1/2 method, it is necessary to obtain
exactly the same situation after photobleaching for each sample. This might
be a problem because: 1) the amount of photobleaching can be different
depending on the mobility of the molecules that take part in the
photochemical bleaching reaction, 2) the 3D environment might be different
(e.g. cell vs. solution) and 3) the diffusion during bleaching can be very
different depending on the diffusion speed.

I understand from your question that you have two kind of samples, one with
a thickness of 1 micron and an other one with a thicknes of 6 micron. If you
want to compare t_1/2 values for both samples directly, this might be
problematic because the 3D environment is different. Compared to the thick
sample, the thinnest one might show an artificially decreased diffusion
coefficient because diffusion in the axial direction is much more limited
... unless you are using a fairly low NA objective lens for which both
samples can be considered to be 2-D. Furthermore, as you have indicated
yourself, long bleach times will be very much a problem as well and should
definitely be avoided.

Thanks for mentioning the Braga et al. article, I hadn't read it before. As
far a I understand, their method actually might be a solution to your
problem, although it is important to realize it is a semi-empirical method
as well (albeit a very different one). Because it is a semi-empirical
approach (i.e. based only in part on a physical basis) it might be difficult
to get a grip on what exactly is allowed and when. It seems though that the
authors have done a good job in carefully sorting out the conditions for
which their method is appropriate. So if you study this paper carefully, it
might actually be a viable solution to your problem.

Finally, with regard to our FRAP article, in the derivation we have tried to
adhere as much as possible to the physical basis of the entire FRAP
experiment. However, to arrive at a single final equation, a number of
assumptions had to be made, which we have tried to explain carefully in the
text and experiments. But as long as you adhere to the rules set out by the
mathematical derivation (and which are summarized in the text, don't worry)
you should be fine in any situation.

And as I have said a couple of times before, whatever FRAP method you are
using, be sure to test it thoroughly before applying it to your actual
samples. For example, make a viscosity series of your fluorescent probe(s)
and make sure you can find the Stokes-Einstein relation for a broad range of
diffusion coefficients. If possible, also try to compare your FRAP diffusion
coefficients with values obtained from independent measurements. If all this
is alright, I think then and only then you can use your method with
confidence.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Kevin Braeckmans
Lab. General Biochemistry and Physical Pharmacy
Ghent University
Belgium