CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2004

From:
Kathy Spencer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:25:38 -0800

Hello!
        I have a question regarding publishing of color pictures, both on-line and
in print...what has been your experience in getting what you wanted from
various publishers?
        One of my users just showed me an appalling use of the Photoshop clone
stamp by the publisher to erase an arrow that they wanted in a different
format. Several parts of the cell in this image were duplicated or
triplicated...dendrites suddenly appeared where they were not in the
original. Again, this was the publisher, not my user doing this. The issue
was corrected, but we felt like they were trying to "pull one over on us".
        In addition, we submitted an RGB version of the image electronically for
their web page version, and asked them NOT to convert it to CMYK, as the
gamut was distinctly less. They did it anyway. When this was pointed out,
they tried to correct it, I'm assuming by converting again. Obviously, the
re-re-converted image is not as preferred as the original we sent them. For
the print version, all images were greyscale, to avoid the conversion issue.
        Besides continuing to point out the inconsistencies and not accepting
sub-standard publishing, what advice might you have to ensure proper color
management? I do have my users proof their images by printer, not by
monitor (subtractive vs. additive color). Most journals do not publish
their ICC profiles, but should this be necessary for on-line publishing?
        Hoping to provoke an interesting discussion. Thanks in advance.
        Best wishes for a peaceful holiday season.
        Kathy Spencer

Kathy Spencer, Ph.D.
Scientific Associate
The Scripps Research Institute