CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2004

From:
Glen MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:56:23 -0800

Dear Benny,
We have been using Fluoromount G to mount coverslips on thick
fluorescent samples, such as 40 µm vibratome sections.  It is water
soluble, we only wick excess moisture from around the sections so that
they will stick to the slides just enough to prevent them from moving
around when the coverslip applied.  I suppose that you could use it
without coverslip,  if you are using objectives designed specifically
to work without coverslips.  Otherwise lack of a coverslip will create
huge problems with spherical aberration, since most objectives are
designed with a requirement for a 0.17 mm thickness. The degree of
aberration will vary with the type of objective and its NA.

Regards,
Glen

On Dec 30, 2004, at 9:57 AM, Xin, Xiangrong wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>  Dear all,
>
> I am a new guy in confocal microscopy. Currently, I am working on 3D
> reconstruction with confocal image sequence. 40um tissue section is
> used. Can anyone recommend some hardening mounting media (with or
> without DAPI) to me? It can harden completely and I will not use
> coverslips.
>
> I'd appreciate if anyone can share experience on that with me. Have a
> good holiday to all!
>
> Best regards
> Benny Xin
> Research Assistant
> Taylor's Lab
> Center for Cardiovascular Repair
> University of Minnesota

Glen MacDonald
Core for Communication Research
Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Center
Box 357923
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-7923  USA
(206) 616-4156

******
The box said "Requires Windows 95 or better", so I bought a Macintosh.
******