CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2005

From:
Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:53:38 -0800

Ian,

I've used water immersion lenses (upright) on protoplasts from plants
and had no problems with distortion.  They were free floating in media,
they would have moved before distorting!  I was able to get beautiful
spheres.

As for Olympus not liking to give it a go.  That's why they have demos.
 I doubt you'll damage the lens, and it could mean a good sale.  I'd
just ask them for the lens and NOT revamp the experiment.

Unless, of course, you are on an inverted.  While water does not have
the high surface tension of oil, we all know water does have a large
amount of surface tension which could cause distortion again.  Then you
might try the other suggestions and revamp the experimental design.

Christian