CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2005

From:
"Mario M. Moronne" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:06:13 -0700

Orin,

Using confocal for this purpose is open to question though I am sure
it can be done, and, yes, I agree that if you are, then spinning disk
with a high QD camera would be the way to go. You have not described
the physical geometry, e.g., a capillary, but since you refer to
electro-osmotic flow, then you will have to determine location of the
stationary layer. I do not believe that you can do this a priori with
any certainty. In principle, you can calculate it as a distance from
the "capillary" surface into the solution but you really need to
measure the position using neutral uncharged particles. Once you have
done this then it becomes a stable parameter to refer to
subsequently, and useful for determining particle zeta potentials and
other factors affecting flow in your system.

As for software, there are many options but you might consider using
ImageJ, I believe there is a plugin for that purpose. Or if you have
Metamorph available, you can put together a journal/script. There are
many other options (including doing a little coding) and someone may
suggest something that they have actually used in the same context
you are working in.

Good luck,

Mario

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>I'm trying to find a system for getting quantitative (velocity
>profiles) information for microfluidic devices, microchannels with a
>fluid and a solid tracer particle driven by electo-osmosis.  This is
>a new field to me so I'm struggling to find the best system.
>Essentially we are looking at a confocal system because of the high
>spatial resolution and z plane resolution and because confocal
>systems keep getting faster and faster I think we can get the
>required temporal resolution to track flowing particles.  So my main
>requirement is speed, at least 20-30 frames per second, beyond that
>I'm wondering what is the best system avaliable for tracking
>particles flowing in microchannels using fluorescent dyes like FITC
>(~490 nm).  I'd like to do 4-D particle tracking and generate
>velocity profiles (I hope that the software that comes with a
>confocal system will have that capability).  I'm assuming that I
>should go with a spinning disk, I'm trying to set up demo's to see
>the PerkinEl
>mer Ultraview EMCCD, the Zeiss LSM 5 LIVE, and the Olympus DSU.
>I've never used confocal microscopy and I'm not sure what my hurdels
>and complications are going to be when trying to use a spinning
>disk(or slit or point scanning) confocal microscopy unit for
>microfluidic applications.  Most literature I find is for Bio
>applications so any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Orin Hemminger
>Graduate Student
>The Ohio State University