CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2005

From:
Klughammer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 15:27:34 +0200

Dear Mr. Moreno,

The OptiGrid converts the illumination system of a conventional
widefield microscope
to a structured light illumination system. Control of Grid movement and
image
processing of the raw structured illumination images by a computer
system allow for
the generation of images with only in focus detail (Neil et al 1997).
This technique
effectively confers confocal capabilities to conventional wide field
microscopes.
from: Thales-Optem brochure "Grid intensity study"

OptiGrid is a different approach to gaining confocal images than
deconvolution or any other software solution.
It is a hardware solution in combination with software.

When planning to use OptiGrid it is a very important point whether you
want to capture fluorescence
images at different wavelengths or at a single wavelength.

The reason is the chromatic aberration:
A lens will not focus different  colors in exactly the same place
because the focal length depends on
refraction and the index of refraction for blue light (short
wavelengths) is larger than that of red light
(long wavelengths). The amount of chromatic aberration depends on the
dispersion of the glass.
**
That means if you want to capture a confocal image with OptiGrid with a
DAPI, a GFP and a
Texas Red filter you will capture images from different planes in the
object. When you will do an
overlay of all three images (DAPI, GFP, Texas Red)  you will get a nice
image but of three different
z-levels of the object. Depending on field size, problems may increase

This is also relevant in confocal microscopy where pinhole misalignments
typically manifest themselves
between different bands with very bad effects.

The solution for this problem is the OptoLine ViCo confocal system which
our company is selling and which
was developed and is still improved by Mr. Pier Alberto Benedetti.

OptoLine ViCo is based upon structured light illumination. ViCo OptoLine
allows capturing many different
fluorescence ranges from one image.  The motorised spatial modulator
corrects the chromatic aberration.
For OptoLine Vico the misalignment is not a problem since emission
pinholes are materially absent and the
computer based detection approach used is intrinsecally self-adaptive
about this aspect. However, as in
conventional fluorescence microscopes, chromatic pixel-shift can
represent a limitation, especially in specific
cases such as in colocalization studies. In OptoLine ViCo the
longitudinal or axial chromatic aberration can
be properly corrected focusing the spatial modulator in the excitation
path (as well as, eventually, the objective
in the emission one).

Finally it can be said that OptiGrid is an easy-to-use confocal system
for capturing images with a single wavelength.
Images from visible UV to near infrared can be captured. The sales price
for the system is reasonable. There will be
hardly any future maintenance costs.

I hope this information gave you some additional information.

Please contact me if you have further questions.

Anneliese Schmaus
Product Manager

klughammer bio gmbh
Strassbach 9