CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2005

From:
Caroline Bass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:15:33 -0500

Hello,

I am attempting to characterize a viral vector.  Right now I am
injecting a virus that makes soluble EGFP and collecting the liver,
sectioning and taking photos of the native fluorescence.  I have a
great signal but I am having a difficult time determining which cells
are positive.  I would like to characterize which cells are
transduced and get a general idea of the percentage transduced.  The
easiest way to do this is probably DAPI staining I think, just to get
an idea of the number of cells and possibly determine the percentage
transduced.  Could someone recommend anything that will help me
determine which cells are staining?  I am relatively new to
microscopy especially fluorescence.  I would love something that I
can visualize easily on a standard fluorescent microscope as well.
Could I do an H&E staining on the sections and still see the
fluorescent signal?  If not is there an alternative?  I would love to
see a typical stain that would highlight the various cell types and
then overlay my fluorescent signal in the same field.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Caroline Bass