CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2006

From:
"Vergara, Leoncio A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:18:50 -0600

I have been looking into 'printed' information about these two systems
and some of the "high content cell imaging systems" such as the (now
discontinued) Beckman IC100, the Cellomics ArrayScan, the BD Biosciences
Pathway, etc. I have had the opportunity to see the IC100 and the BD
pathways working.

I think the OMNIS is a true imaging flow cytometer, it adds the
advantage of morphological (space distribution) data but retains the
disadvantage that a single cell is viewed only once, so no possibility
for real time course imaging, the other relative disadvantage is that
you still need to disrupt the attachment of the cells. Of course that is
no problem for suspension cells such as those from blood.

The CompuCyte has the advantage of being able to image attached cells,
even tissue sections and also 'revisit' points if working with cells.
Would share limitations in wavelength availability with other laser
based systems such as confocals and flow cytometers. Also I think the
axial resolution is very low, but that in some cases may be an
advantage.

The other systems I mentioned above are more like 'automated
microscopes' coupled to automatic image segmentation and analysis
software to extract features and measurements". They may not compete in
resolution with traditional systems, but certainly claim to provide an
intermediate solutions with flow cytometry when trying to work with
large numbers of cells while still providing imaging data and being able
to do work with live cells and follow true single cell response
kinetics.

Any critical comments? Thanks in advance

Leoncio A. Vergara MD
Director
Optical Imaging Lab. (OIL)
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Neuroscience and Cell Biology
University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB)
Galveston, Texas 77555
phone: 409-772-3970