CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2006

From:
Lutz Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 02:54:20 -0500

Ricardo,

one could think that 2D processing is a special case of 3D processing (with
Z=1), but I have to raise some caution. Any good 3D deconvolution package
has implemented some kind of internal data expansion to avoid the
circularity inherent to the FFT convolutions, which would cause edge
artefacts when not done. Going into such algorithm with 2D data will
internally produce a 3D data set, which may, depending on the
implementation, not be optimal for solving your problem. Taking the PSF at
the in-focus position for 2D deconvolution is correct.

Generally, the 2D restoration effect will not become as much apparent as in
the 3D case, unless you plan to do it on an othogonal x-z or y-z section
(with appropriate orthogonal PSF section). This is because you do not
account for the contributions from other focal sections. The PSF has the
greatest (in fact infinite) region of support in axial direction, while in
transverse direction its approximately only the size of the Airy disk. So I
hope you do not expect too much ...

Cheers
Lutz