CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2006

From:
Martin Wessendorf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2006 16:14:25 -0500

Dear Peng Xi:

Not quite sure what you need.  Do you need the relationship between the
size of the Airy disk in the image plane, and that in the pinhole plane?
   If so, that relationship has been described as:

d/(2*Msystem*Mobjective)

Where 	d= the physical diameter of the disk in the pinhole plane
	Msystem= the magnification of the confocal system = 53 for a BioRad
1024 with no additions to the image light path.  That is, if there's
nothing like a DIC unit or fluorescence illuminator in the light path
(--if so, some of these add 1.25x to the system mag.  It should say on
the side of the unit.)
	Mobjective= the magnification of the objective.

This formula comes by way of Hans van der Voort at Scientific Volume
Imaging in the Netherlands--http://www.svi.nl .  Good folks.  (No
commercial interest.)

Good luck!

Martin Wessendorf

--
Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991