CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2006

From:
Anda Cornea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 09:49:49 -0700

Because there is a real population of "green" DsRed molecules that no sequential scanning can separate from FITC.  One way to go around this is to allow DsRed enough time to mature. We imaged 72 hours after transfection and 48 hours (I think) after adding an inhibitor of new protein synthesis.

Anda

Anda Cornea Ph.D.
Head of the Imaging and Morphology Core
Oregon National Primate Research Center
Oregon Health & Science University
(503) 690-5293

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/12/06 9:23 AM >>>

I'm not sure why the need to do spectral separation in the first place.  As
someone mentioned, simply capturing each dye sequentially in different
channels not only precludes the possibility of bleed-through, but uses more
sensitive detectors.  Modern systems seem to have solved mis-registration
problems associated with changing mirrors/filters, and the automated systems
allow full scans of each channel before changing to another focal plane.

Just my two cents worth.
Carl

Carl A. Boswell, Ph.D.
Molecular and Cellular Biology