CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2006

From:
Michael Schell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:20:40 -0400

Two more things not mentioned in Kevin's excellent summary are:

1.  The acquisition bottleneck:  if you wish to use your pimped PC for
acquisition, it will have to have a 32-bit OS installed (or dual- boot
with 64bit) because of the paucity of 32 bit device drivers for the
hardware peripherals.  In terms of moving towards "on the fly" 3D- live
imaging, it is the acquisition that limits the stream of data if it
occurs via 32-bit drivers.  I am hoping some device manufacturers with
pipe into this thread with good news about this...

2.  RAM fans.  Some of the dual-Xeon Dells require a special part called
a RAM fan if you wish to install more than 4 GB.  I did not discover
this fact until I tried to upgrade to 8GB.  The computer gives you a
convenient reminder to buy a RAM fan from Dell, and it will not start
until take out the extra RAM.

Michael J. Schell
Assist. Professor
Dept. of Pharmacology