CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2007

From:
Gary Laevsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 14:27:08 -0500

Hello All,

We have an alignment problem.  Our setup, briefly, consists of an
inverted Nikon TE2000U base, fitted with a Prior stage and a Jena
piezo (fitted into the Prior).  On the "front" port of the Nikon
base, we have a CCD, and we have mirrors placed in the infinity space
of the base redirecting excitation/emission to the sample/detectors,
respectively.

When we focus up and down, using both objective turret and piezo, we
see a lateral shift of the image (on the order of hundreds of
microns), first noticed with the CCD, and then confirmed using an APD
at the end of "a" detection path in back of the microscope.  By using
these two methods, we have limited the common components to the piezo
and the objective turret (The APD path consists, loosely, of light
source-mirror-objective-sample-objective-mirror-APD. The CCD path is
light source-sample-objective-tube lens-CCD.).

The only thing we can think of, is that both the piezo and the
objective turret are shifting laterally off the optical axis during
focus.  The shift is in the same direction using both components.  If
either or both of the components were simply off-axis, but moving
truly axially, I would think that would simply yield an aplanar field
of view.  I can't imagine that/how/why BOTH of these would be
shifting like this ...

Comments, ideas, solutions?

Thanks in advance, again.

Best,