CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2007

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 15:24:03 +0100
From:
Sven Terclavers <[log in to unmask]>

I agree here with Jens: if you see some articles, in high impact factor
journals, showing images of a double-staining where the overlay of green and
red show nice yellow, I tend to wonder strongly if what's shown is indeed
true colocalisation. I mean, I've seen images where I was really wondering
if the original single channels were not oversaturated!

Though I also experienced the opposite: when having a nice image, for sure
not saturated, the final (pdf) print turns out to convert the colors in such
a way that they appear ór over- ór under-saturated.  Simply because of
converting RGB to CMYK.  There are so many different color palettes lately
that one doesn't know which one to use anymore...  But it has a strong
effect on your proof of colocalisation!  Of course other techniques will
help you showing expression of a certain molecule next to another one, but
still.

I always tend to grab for the confocal microscope when colocalisation is
requested, often two different optical sections of a histological section
will superimpose in 2D on a epi-fluorescent microscope and thus give an
impression of colocalisation, however they seem not to colocalise at all
when scanning in three dimensions.  And even then one should take care of
the correct pinhole settings, z-stack-interval, detector gain etc. to
acquire correct images.

Colocalisation imaging, I believe it's something standards should be set up
for and requested by the journals...

With best regards,

Sven Terclavers