CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2007

From:
"Francico J. Hernandez Blazquez" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:09:01 -0300

I think that people who are worried about post processing with image
software doesn't know much about the history of scientific photography and
photographic processing in paper..
When the photography was done on paper, you a negative film then you HAD to
choose the type photographic paper intensity of constrast that you wanted,
you could expose the paper less or more time, you could overexpose a region
of the photo to show better something that was underexposed in the negative
and vice-versa, you could cut regions of the borders of the photograph if it
was not interesting or if there was an artifact in this area etc. etc. etc.
A master photography professional could do miracles with otherwise ruined
negatives only working in the dark room. Of course I am only speaking of
black and white photography. Constrast and brightness in black and white
photography was and is a PERSONAL DECISION that was/is made in the moment of
reproduction of the negative.

The color photography was and is the same. Colours could be adjusted as
wished during the reproduction process in paper.
I donīt see any problem if we adjust brightness or contrast or color
intensity by software,  It was always done in the time of photography on
paper.
Someone really does believe that the journals editors at that time didn' t
know that the paper photography was "processed" and "improved" in the
darkroom?

"Photoshop and like programs shouldn't be touched
under any circumstance (and if you're capable on a microscope, you don't
need it)"

Lets say, if you are capable on a microscope and if you know the software of
you camera. Because if you change the settings of the camera, you may get
any color intensity, contrast, brightnes, luminescence, gamma etc ect that
you wish. You don' t need a photosomething software, you may alter the image
BEFORE it is taken.

I would like to know the opinion of the real professionals of photography.
The problem is not in the software or if it is used or not, the problem is
how it is used. And I think that the same ethics of the time of paper
photography applies to numeric images. Nothing changed.