CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2007

From:
"Rietdorf, Jens" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:54:51 +0200

Dear Christophe,

You are right about the laser box, I was told it will come equipped with 405-488-561 diodes.
I think the major improvement is a motorised control of the beam coupling to the back focal plane (its an objective type TIRF). It can couple from different directions, so if there are shading artifacts, these can be addressed, also the position along the radius of the BFP and thus the angle to the glass/water interface can be controlled automatically. Several different pre-set angles can be approached automatically, which together with the control of the AOTF allows to compare images at different strength and 'depth' of the evanescent field.
My impression when I saw it at the FOM in Valencia and at the ELMI in York earlier this year wasry good in terms of ease-of-use and concept, but it was a bit slow to access the different angles etc.I was told the issue of speed will be addressed soon by a programmable external controler.

Product Manager at Leica was Christian May.

No commercial interest.

regards, jens

---
Dr. Jens Rietdorf
Head Microscopy
Novartis Research Foundation
Friedrich-Miescher-Institute, wro1066.2.32
Maulbeerstr.66, CH-4058 Basel, Switzerland
phone +41(61)69-75172 mobil +41 798284737