CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2007

From:
Carl Boswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:35:11 -0700

Hi Andrew,
I can't speak to the reason "that the electrodes are not even visible" after
so few hours, but that is likely the remains of the electrodes, not mercury.
The "bubbles" you see in the newer bulb are probably droplets of mercury.
This is a sign of a new bulb.  It is this metal that is vaporized  when the
arc forms and produces the light.  There was a thread recently on this
listserv that centered on whether one could replace the standard 102 bulb
with a 103, and most folks said they had had good luck with it.  I think the
implication was that some systems would not handle the 103 well, and yours
may be one of them.  I agree with George, that a new lamp housing may do the
trick.
Cheers,
Carl

Carl A. Boswell, Ph.D.