CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2007

From:
Turan Erdogan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2007 11:18:40 -0400

Dear Loralei:

I would add that there is nothing magical about the laser light, other
than that due to its "brightness" (watts per cm^2 per steradian per unit
wavelength), it is generally easier to focus more watts through a
pinhole.  But as long as you can get enough light through the pinhole,
even if it comes from a broadband, less-coherent arc-lamp source, you
can still do excellent confocal imaging.  In the case of the Olympus
system, they don't actually use a single pinhole, as in conventional
laser-scanning confocal systems, but rather a disk with a series of
crossed linear apertures, such that when the disk spins the pattern of
light that gets through the disk as a function of time appears like an
array of moving apertures (it is a variation of the so-called "Nipkow
disk" which contains an array of actual pinholes arranged in a spiral
pattern).  These sorts of spinning disk systems make more efficient use
of the light than single-pinhole, laser-scanning confocal systems, and
therefore are able to function quite well even with less-bright,
non-laser sources.  Of course if you can get away without using lasers,
you gain the flexibility of having all wavelengths available to you,
plus compactness, less heat, etc., which is why it makes sense to use a
lamp if you can.

Hope that helps a little more.

Sincerely, Turan

Dr. Turan Erdogan, CTO

Semrock, Inc.

3625 Buffalo Road

Rochester, NY 14624

tel:  (585) 594-7001

fax:  (585) 594-7095

www.semrock.com

The Standard in Optical Filters for Biotech & Analytical Instrumentation

More than 100,000 Ion Beam Sputtered filters delivered - extensive
inventory now!