CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2007

From:
John Oreopoulos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:29:23 -0400

Hi Ella,

I asked the same question a while back as well (see post from April
23rd 2007), and someone eventually did reply. Can't remember the
specific reason why it works so well at 405 nm, but as you pointed
out, the excitation spectrum is not quite zero at that wavelength, and
so it's possible to kick off fluorescence and hence detect it. Not
sure about Alexa 350, but again, I guess it depends on the excitation
spectrum. Maybe someone else can comment on that?
On a related note, I was recently able to excite Bodipy-Cholesterol
with a 532 nm laser and detect the red-shifted florescence with an
EMCCD with TIRF. I was pretty surprised by that since the peak
emission wavelength of Bodipy is around 532 nm. This just emphasizes
the fact that excitation and emission spectra for some dyes are really
quite broad and it is possible under certain situations to form images
with light shifted to the end of the spectra.

John Oreopoulos