CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2007

From:
Rosemary White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2007 07:40:37 +1100

I would also recommend trying fluorescently tagged Fab fragments instead of
full IgGs as secondary labels.

In immunofluorescence on plant tissue, particularly if you are doing
something like immunolabelling of carbohydrates on cereals (as we have been
lately), there is sometimes rather high background with fluorescent IgGs as
secondaries.  The explanation I've heard is that the animals in which the
secondaries are raised also produce antibodies to certain components of the
food they eat, which is usually plant material of some sort, often a cereal
grain.  Cereals are particularly good at inducing an auto-immune response -
gluten is the classic example.

With Fab secondaries, we get very clean labelling, I guess this would also
be true on animal/human tissues.

cheers,
rosemary

Rosemary White                    [log in to unmask]
CSIRO Plant Industry            ph.     61 (0)2-6246 5475
GPO Box 1600                       fax.     61 (0)2-6246 5334
Canberra, ACT 2601
Australia