CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2007

From:
Craig Brideau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 07:07:46 -0700

Our own lab has found that modifying confocal microscopes for 2-photon
is a tricky business.  As mentioned before, an AOM will cause problems
with the laser.  If there is any way to bypass the AOM in your system,
or simply remove it, this will help.
Another issue is optics and objectives.  Most optics and objectives
are designed for the visible range rather than the NIR.  From my own
experience certain medium-high-end Nikon and Olympus lenses tend to
have the best NIR performance, and most others are terrible; absorbing
90% or more of the light.  A crude test is to use a laser power meter
to measure the power after your objective. Place the detector head
some distance away where the light is diverging but still all of it
hits the detector surface; the focal point can damage your detector.
Compare this to the power before the microscope to get your system
losses.  Don't be afraid to ask your manufacturer for the NIR
transmission spectrum for your lenses.

Craig