CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2008

From:
James Pawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 17:47:25 -0600

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>Hello all!
>
>I have used the latex beads inside the agarose
>gel and I have measured the penetration depth of
>NA: 1.2 60X lens about 600um,could it be wrong?
>
>Thanks
>Sarah

Dear Sara,

You don't say, but I believe that the (Nikon?)
objective you describe is supposed to be used
with a coverslip.

If you just use it just with agarose, two things
will happen: You will have VERY high spherical
aberration (and therefore z-direction
measurements are not worth much) and, because the
coverslip is missing, the working distance will
appear to be more than the (about ) 200 µm that
the lens was designed for.

Add a 170 µm coverslip on top of the agarose, and
you should be able to see about 200 µm below the
agarose/coverslip interface.

Cheers,

Jim P.
Prof. James B. Pawley,               		            Ph.  608-263-3147
Room 223, Zoology Research
Building,              	            FAX
608-265-5315
1117 Johnson Ave., Madison, WI, 53706
3D Microscopy of Living Cells Course, June 14-26, 2008, UBC, Vancouver Canada
Info: http://www.3dcourse.ubc.ca/	     Applications due by March 15, 2008
	       "If it ain't diffraction, it must be statistics." Anon.