CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2008

From:
Paul Rigby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:38:57 +0900

Hi Pedro,
On our Biorad 1024UV system, using the Nikon 60x NA1.4 PlanApo objective, the final pixel size is 310nm x 310nm. Assuming optimal pixel size of 80nm for Nyquist sampling to resolve 200nm in x,y then the maximum "useful" zoom is 310/80 = 3.8. On different confocal systems the final pixel size could be quite different. I have always understood this is how Biorad calculated their optimal zoom value for that objective.
Cheers
Paul

Dr Paul Rigby
Senior Lecturer
Centre for Microscopy, Characterisation and Analysis (M510)
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway
Crawley  WA  6009