CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2008

From:
Michael Weber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 16:24:19 +0100

Hey Peng,

another way of bringing the laser to the object plane would be not
through the microscope ports, but directly below the objective via a
dichromatic mirror for UV. For example people in Czech Republic (Brno)
build a little laser coupling device that one can screw between
objective and turret. This way you can get around the spectral response
issues with the microscope prisms.

Direct coupling of the laser or scanning system to the microscope would
allow you to work around fiber coupling issues. Then you probably need
to use existing ports - maybe one can change the prisms to good
dichromatic mirrors?

---

Beside that, I would also be interested in news about 350nm diode
lasers. We have a setup with a (nearly dead) Enterprise laser and where
looking for diode lasers to get rid of the heavy and hot beast. But the
information we got so far from companies and independent people was that
the current generation of UV diode lasers has too low quality (long-term
stability, beam shape etc.) for setups like confocals.

cheers,
Michael