CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2008

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:09:58 -0500

Hi Glen,

Bob Zucker told me that if the tissue still has
any water in it, the BABB will turn cloudy.
Another item to be aware of with BABB is that it
can solubilize some glues, so using it in an
imaging chamber could results in leaks. Bob also
emphasized that BABB is a very bad thing to have
land on an objective lens or any other optic. One
last item about BABB - I found some chemical
company web sites that listed the refractive
indices of several benzyl X compounds. Some are
at or below RI=1.515. So, it may be feasible to
find a mixture of two that is right at 1.515.
That said, I'm excited about TDE because even
neat, its RI is close to that of immersion oil
and glass as to not matter except maybe hyper-critical deconvolution.

I am currently storing the TDE (25 mL bottle,
smallest that Sigma-Aldrich sells) in the
chemical cabinet. I will probably aliquot it out
into 0.5 or 1.0 mL eppendorf tubes to make it
easier to distribute to users who want to try.

My first user had ~5 um lung tissue sections. No
way for me to tell whether they had shrinkage.
There was an excellent article in one of the
trade magazines (Microscopy Today?) a year or so
on paraformaldehyde concentration in perfusion
fixation. That, and other articles, lead me to
expect that shrinkage comes from the PFA step,
not from the later tissue clearing and dehydration.

George