CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2008

From:
Jens Rietdorf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2008 08:42:44 -0800

Dear Arvydas,

my (intimate) experience with 8 lsm510 machines is the following; during the
first 5 years or 10k usage hours, there is almost no expensive problem, so
the service contract is rather unnecessary, as long as you are able to do
the minimum cleaning etc yourself. After 5 years or 10k, considerable costs
have to be covered, mostly for new lasers (though this may not be the case
in the future, if you operate mainly solid state lasers), but also some
elctronics problems, new computer etc. To my knowledge (and we in vain have
tried to negotiate something alike) there is no 'mobility guarantee' some
car companies offer, so you anyways pay all replaced parts, the only costs
covered by the service is cleaning (which you can save) and travel of the
service people (which may depend on where you are).

We decided against service contracts and will rather replace the machines.

We would strongly appreciate a service contract that covers all costs to
have the (or a replacement) microscope operational within 24 hours. It would
convert all our troubles into a number which coud be handled.

Hope that helps. Cheers, jens.