CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2008

From:
"Nowell, Cameron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 17:56:09 +1000

Hi Graham,
                We get our lamps (HBO 103/W2) out to around 600 hours. Our practice is to use new ones in our scopes that take images for analysis (widefield uprights and live imaging scopes) we then change them when they hit 300 hours with new ones. The ones that have done 300 hours we use in our confocals as they only need the light to find a sample prior to confocal imaging. These lamps then usually stop firing up after 600 hours (our record is 850 hours)

For us the problem is not exploding lamps but greatly reduced light intensity. If you compare a lamp that has done 600 hours to one that is brand new, there is a great deal of difference.

We have been doing this for a year and a half now and have not had any problems. When we first started to do it, we asked a lot of people about the exploding lamps. No one we spoke to had had it happen to them but everyone new someone (or new someone who new someone) who had had it happen in the past.

Cheers

Cam

Cameron Nowell
Microscopy Research and Imaging Facility
Cell Cycle and Development
Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
7 St Andrews Place
East Melbourne, 3002