CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2008

From:
Jerry Sedgewick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:17:46 -0500

I absolutely concur with Peter.  To my way of thinking, 90% of the image
quality deterioration occurs at the press.  It seems that all but few
journals work with agencies that know how to print largely black, and
largely out-of-gamut primary colors.  These require specific changes to
colors and dynamic range in order to obtain adequate reproduction.

Jerry

Peter Humphreys wrote:
> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>   It would be quite helpful if journals could decide a clear and simple
> standard for figures. Many papers are a little light on detail of the
> manipulations used, but we frequently see vague and contradictory
> information in the instructions for authors.
> Since the journals usually insist on CMYK and we usually image RGB, the
> colourspace conversion also alters the image. As it is almost impossible to
> find which colour profile a journal uses, it is very difficult to get and
> accurate conversion (photoshop usually does the conversion poorly); surely
> the journals should take some of the responsibility for this part of the
> publication process. Over the years I've seen the journals require more and
> more formatting from our end.
>
> Peter
>

> Peter Humphreys
> Imaging Facility
> Centre for Stem Cell Research
> Cambridge
> CB2 1QA

Jerry (Gerald) Sedgewick
Program Director, Biomedical Image Processing Lab (BIPL)
Department of Neuroscience, University of Minnesota
312 Church St. SE, 1-205 Hasselmo Hall
Minneapolis, MN  55455
(612) 624-6607
http://www.bipl.umn.edu
Author: "Scientific Imaging with Photoshop: Methods, Measurement and Output."

Rawlight.com (dba Sedgewick Initiatives)
965 Cromwell Avenue
Saint Paul, MN  55114
(651) 308-1466
http://www.quickphotoshop.com