CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2008

Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 15:45:09 -0400

Hi, Julio. Thank you for your helpfup input. I am not working on measuring
the MPE level or anything like that. I am interested in learning for human
skin imaging application, what is a safe power level? There are some
experimental studies on that, but I was wondering if the ANSI standard also
applies here since it has specific guideline on eye and skin exposure limits.

I think my question can be simplified like this: for a CW laser at 800nm,
how much optical power can be deposited into a 0.25 um2 area in 1 us without
raising damage concerns? The units should be energy unit or converted to
average power by dividing the time duration. My calculation shows that

So the question is more about safety concern rather than saturating the
fluorophores. And the sample here is animal model or human, not cell
samples. Julio has very good suggestions about how to monitor the sample
damage. For now, I would just like to have an idea whether the existing
standard is applicable and if yes, how do I calculate the maximum power limit.

I really appreciate any thoughts on this. If you feel this topic is not
appropriate for this forum, please reply me off the list. Sorry to bother
those who are not interested.

Best Regards,
Dan