CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2008

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2008 20:54:39 -0400

Hi Dan,

Permissible to who?

Once you reach fluorophore saturation there is no need to go higher
for confocal (I believe SHG and THG doe not saturate). So, if laser
power X and X+10% (i.e. 90 and 100% AOTF setting) give equal
brightness (assuming PMT gain not trivially saturated), then X is saturated.

If your 543 nm laser routinely achieves fluorophore saturation, let's trade.

If a 1k x 1k scan takes 1 second, pixel dwell time is 1 usecond or
less (ignoring spot size wrt Nyquist), so your 10 us is an over-estimate.

George
p.s. of course if you want to use saturation to achieve
ultramicroscopy resolutions (Gustafsson, et al for example), then
X+20% might be better than X.

At 11:33 AM 7/7/2008, you wrote:
>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>Dear all,
>
>Recently I was calculating the maximum permissible exposure (MPE) power
>level for confocal or multiphoton microscopy for tissue imaging. It seems to
>me that currently the optical power used by most confocal or multiphoton
>studies in tissue imaging far exceeds the MPE limit. Here is how I
>calculated it and please tell me if I am doing something wrong. The
>literature I have found so far do not talk about tight focusing.
>
>According to the ANSI-Z136.1 standard, in the NIR range with an exposure
>time of 10^-7 to 10 second, the MPE level is 0.56*t^0.25, t being the pixel
>dwelling time. Considering a typical pixel dwelling time at 10 microsecond,
>the MPE level is 31 mJ/cm-2. Assume we have a focal spot size of 1 micron,
>the average power should be 0.31 nJ or 0.031 mW. That seems like an awfully
>small number considering a few mW (even tens of mW) is routinely used in
>human skin imaging.
>
>If some one has worked on this before, please advise me what is wrong here.
>Thank you very much for your input.
>
>Dan Fu

George McNamara, Ph.D.
University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine
Image Core
Miami, FL 33010
305-243-8436 office
http://home.earthlink.net/~pubspectra/