CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2008

From:
"Rietdorf, Jens" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2008 13:30:54 +0200

Dear Jean-Pierre,

My advice is to use instead of a server external hard disks for the
immediate storage, one per user. Then let the user deal with their IT
departments for backups etc.

This strategy has plenty advantages, some are:
1) it is a very cheap and simple solution.
2) You can directly write to these small firewire or usb disks, but you
sometimes cannot do that onto a server via the net for timing reasons.
3) You are not held responsible for user data.
4) you don't have to ask people -to remove unused data, -not to save
their holiday pictures, or worse stuff with whatever content,...
5) No server maintenance issues, no network issues.

We tested a NAS a year ago, and this was very slow. On a Gigabit
network.

Cheers, jens