CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2008

From:
Johan Henriksson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2008 14:29:17 +0200
Hu Xian wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Well, generally, I would prefer 64 bits over 32 bits operation system.
>
> But the details of operation system greatly depends on the software you want to use.
>
> For instance, we know the ImageJ works much better on Leopard than Vista 64 bits. If I'm not wrong, you can allocate around 1.5G memory for ImageJ on Vista before it starts to crash, whereas on leopard it can take upto 10Gb of memory.

I think this is problem with the java environment on windows. on 32bit
it can actually never grow past 2gb. how well the 64bit works I do not know.
> $5000 is a lot of money. Not sure about European market, but should be too far off. You should be able to get a 64bits operation system with 64GB, 8 core. Disc space is not that critical as long as you are not using the computer as data storage.

however, you might want to have a look at the bandwidth to whatever
storage you have. the disk is a bottleneck to take into consideration.
you want gigabit if you have a network, and maybe even RAID if you run
locally. at the same time, make sure you use good a image format. some
sort of compression is a requirement, lossless at minimum.

Johan Henriksson
MSc Engineering
PhD student, Karolinska Institutet
http://mahogny.areta.org http://www.endrov.net