CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2008

From:
Stephen Cody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2008 12:15:34 +1000

G'day Ohkyung,

I'm only new to the FV1000, so if others disagree please correct me.

HV refers to High Voltage and is the number of volts applied to the PMT.
To add to your confusion this is sometimes also called "Gain" or "PMT
Gain" by other manufacturers.

As you and others have pointed out the FV1000 also has a "Gain"
function, and this is an amplification of the PMT signal as previously
pointed out.

Generally speaking I think it is preferable to have this amplification
gain switched off (ie. set to 1), and use only the HV to increase
signal. I presume as the Amp. Gain feature is offered by Olympus, there
must be situations where if the signal strength is low, and if
increasing the HV further results in more noise (Lower signal/noise
ratio (S/N) ), then using some Amplifier gain and a little less PMT HV
may produce a better S/N ratio (ie. a less noisy image). I have not yet
found that set of circumstances. Can anyone comment in what set of
circumstances the Amp. Gain becomes useful?

Cheers
Steve

Stephen H. Cody
Microscopy Manager
Central Resource for Advanced Microscopy
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research
PO Box 2008 Royal Melbourne Hospital
Victoria,      3050
Australia
Tel: 61 3 9341 3155    Fax: 61 3 9341 3104
email: [log in to unmask]
www.ludwig.edu.au/labs/confocal.html
www.ludwig.edu.au/confocal

Tip: Learn how to receive reminders about you microscope booking:
www.ludwig.edu.au/confocal/Local/Booking_Hint.htm