CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2008

From:
Joe Summers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 11:04:31 -0400

Hi Scott,

To reiterate what everyone else has been saying, even relatively small
fluctuations in temperature can have a significant impact on focus.

To provide an example:  I was in an air-conditioned lab over the
summer and as the air-conditioning turned off and on, the change in
focus due to thermal expansion was on the order of a micron for a
1-1.5 deg. C change in temperature - this happened at a period of
about 200 seconds with the specimen going in and out of focus.

Because I use an older spinning disk unit (without infinity-corrected
optics) that's no longer sold or supported, many of the "autofocus"
options available on newer infinity-corrected scopes were not an
option for me.  Therefore, to compensate for thermal drift, I
regularly sampled two areas from the CCD image every ten seconds and
used a metric (e.g. contrast) to determine the z-position and then
corrected using the piezo.  This was not the most elegant solution -
most modern "autofocus" options are faster and run parallel to the
image acquisition - however, it works reasonably well for my
application (imaging of semiconductor layers) and is pretty cheap.

With this in mind, how often do you need to capture an image - do you
need continuous video or snapshots?

Hope this proves useful.  Good luck!
-Joe

On Sep 18, 2008, at 8:56 AM, Scott Howell wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> All,
>
> Have new faculty coming aboard and a major application will be 48 hour
> timelapse studies in 96 well plates using multichannel collections.
> Therefore my question is how critical is it to have a system that has
> a perfect focus mechanism to meet this application? Are there decent
> work arounds if the perfect focus is not used? Have never actually
> worked with this type of system so would like input on this matter
> from the list. Thanks.
>

> Scott J. Howell, Ph.D.
> Manager, Imaging Module
> Visual Sciences Research Center