CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2008

From:
Tina Carvalho <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2008 11:24:45 -1000
Hi, All-

As a direct result of this thread on this List earlier this year (Re: An
alarming amount of image manipulation, numbering 100 posts), this will be
the subject of a symposium at Microscopy & Microanalysis 2009.

The Microscopy Society of America has a Focused Inerest Group (FIG) on
Facilities Operation & Management (FOM). We have been trying to get an
acutal syposium slot for a few years, and Council finally granted us one
for 2009, but asked for a symposium title on very short notice. Chris
Gilpin is the new head of this FIG and, having been a participant in this
Confocal List thread, suggested that image manipulation, metadata, etc. be
the topic. I'm not sure what title he finally submitted. Chris had
attended a workshop at NIST in May where this was under discussion. You
can see his post in the archives from June 23, 2008.

MSA has a Committee on the Ethics of Digital Imaging. We came up with some
really minimal guidelines a few years ago, but I guess now it's time to go
further. There are several topics to consider. I think image
acquisition, manipulation and integrity are hot topics, but there are
other considerations, such as image and spectral metadata, data
(image) tagging and mining, and the development of the "semantic
web". My personal nightmare is that we'll be asked to come up with an
entirely new image format, but I am relieved to see that the Open
Microscopy Environment (OME) group has already done a lot of the
groundwork.

This topic has the potential to run off in all kinds of directions, but
let's generate a discussion and see where it leads. This is the kind of
community that should have some kind of input rather than waiting to have
something imposed on them.

Aloha,
Tina

* Tina (Weatherby) Carvalho               * [log in to unmask]           *
* Biological Electron Microscope Facility * (808) 956-6251                 *
* University of Hawaii at Manoa           * http://www.pbrc.hawaii.edu/bemf*