CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2008

From:
Rosemary White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:02:00 +1100
Hi Jon,
As Tobias says, plants are great for their variety of autofluorescence.  I
cut hand sections (from a couple of bushes just outside the building) in
front of school groups and put them straight under the fluorescence or
confocal microscope.  UV/405nm illumination will give a big variety of
fluorescence from cell walls and cell contents.  There are also cheap stains
like rhodamine B, berberine sulfate, Schiff's reagent, calcofluor white (the
brightener in washing powder) that you can use, which mainly stain cell
walls.
Another cool thing to do is get a cube of either uranium glass or
fluorescent plastic and put this under the objective to show the light path
and explain the focal plane - or fill a cuvette with fluorescent solution.
Does a much better job than diagrams on a piece of paper!
cheers,
Rosemary