CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2009

From:
Keith Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:14:58 -0000
Hi

Yes the 'pinhole not adjusted' warning always appears if you create a 'new'
optical filter configuration. Although you can manually adjust the confocal
pinhole [even incorrectly] to kill off the nagging & annoying message on the
LMS510, Zeiss do provide a utility to do this automatically for you for all
the filter configurations you have.

You do this while focused on the ‘mirrored’ slide Zeiss kindly gave you with
the confocal when you bought it, and you run a little program that
automatically aligns all the pinholes for all the optical configurations you
use [even all those that don't display the warning message]. You switch on
the 633nm laser select the 10x objective [always]. Leave the system to warm
up for at least a couple of hours. Put the mirrored slide under the 10x and
focus on it – normally you can see dust which helps or use the palettes to
show over exposure [red] and when it’s brightest you’ve hit the mirror.

You then run PHAdjust.exe from Zeiss’s AIM folder [C:\aim\hwt\PHAdjust.exe
on our PC]. This will automatically adjust all the available beam paths in
your filter config files. For any other users with unusual filter
configurations just ‘resuse’ the beam path from one of their images and save
it in your configs.

Generally I run PHAjust.exe. every month. It takes about an hour to
auto-adjust all the optics correctly and as a bonus gets rid of that
annoying message.

Regards

Keith
Dr Keith J. Morris,
Molecular Cytogenetics and Microscopy Core,
Laboratory 00/069 and 00/070,
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics,
Roosevelt Drive,
Oxford  OX3 7BN,
United Kingdom.

Telephone:  +44 (0)1865 287568