CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2009

From:
Tobias Baskin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2009 21:47:29 +0900
John,
	From the non physicist's point of view the answer could go
something like this. If you have a power surge it can fry your
computer. But if your computer is not plugged into the mains then it
would take a very big power surge indeed to do the damage. A molecule
in the ground state can of course be damaged by free radical attack
but no more or less than other molecules. But once a molecule has
absorbed a photon then it is not in the ground state any more. To
continue my hoaky analogy, a chromophore in light is like your
computer plugged in to the mains.

	Hope this helps. The physicists (and musicians) can go for
the triplets.

	Tobias