CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2009

From:
Joel Sheffield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:12:39 -0400
Actually, WGA binds to specific glycoproteins, and so it will
frequently bind to the glycoproteins in membranes.  However, it will
also bind to Golgi membranes, but in some cases, where the
glycoprotein array is of different composition, it won't bind at all.
 In those cases you might find that another lectin, such as ConA,
will be better.  In all of these situations, though, the lectins will
also bind to other glycosylated components of the extracellular
matrix, so some caution is indicated.

Ideally, you might be interested in a lipid-binding compound, such as
FM 4-64.  However, since your procedure extracts most lipids, this
may not be a useful approach.

Joel