Subject:[mou-net] Mute Swan ~ Rice Co.
From:Dave Bartkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 15 Mar 2009 16:26:27 -0600

Hi everyone,

  At around 2:15 this afternoon I found a Mute Swan at Wells Lake. Many of you may remember that Rice County hosted Mute Swans for a number of years. I haven't seen a Mute Swan in Rice County since February of 2007, so I'm not sure about the origin of this bird, but I can tell you that in all the years I did see Mute Swans in the county, I never saw them at Wells Lake.

  Other FOY birds today were: Killdeer, Cormorant, Ring-billed Gull and Eastern Meadowlark.

  Wells Lake hosted 13 species of duck today along with a couple of Greater White-fronted Geese. I also had several flocks of GWF Geese flying over today. Numbers totaled well above 150 birds.

  Species numbers were much, much higher today than in the past, especially dabbler ducks: pintails, shovelers, wood ducks, green-winged teal and wigeon.

  Also of note - Yesterday, I had a single Great Blue Heron on the colony island at Wells Lake. Today there were probably well over 40.

Good birding!

Dave Bartkey

Faribault,MN

screechowl@q.com